Monday 16 January 2012

International Women's Day


 International Women's Day is celebrated across the world to honour women's advancement and to ensure their equality. It also highlights some of the most talented women who have inspired us over time. A woman who is very inspirational to me on this continent is a ballerina who was the first American ballerina to dance with the Paris Opera Ballet at the Bolshoi Theatre in Moscow, Russia. She was also recognized at the New York City Ballet as one of the greatest dancers in the world. This ballerina was the first American to receive the title, prima (lead) ballerina until her retirement. She went on to found the Chicago City Ballet in 1981 and served as the artistic director. This ballerina is the female Native American, Maria Tallchief, born in Fairfax, Oklahoma; which is a Osage Indian Reservation. Maria was born in 1925 and was presented the National Medal of the Arts award by the National Endowment for the Arts in 1999.

Here is a picture of the famous Maria Tallchief. This photo is also found on the ballerinagallery.com. The photo was taken in New York at the New York City Ballet, Ballet Russe de Monte Carlo.



I am also inspired by the Graphic Designer Al Parker who I will use as inspiration to create a poster for Maria Tallchief in recognition for International Women's Day.
Here is one of Al Parker's famous magazine layouts:

This piece is inspirational to me because it is original thought and uses a dynamic colour scheme. The simplicity of this piece is overlooked by thee effectiveness and creative originality. 


After further reading about Maria Tallchief and looking through Al Parker's pieces I have come up with a few thumbnail sketches in which I would like to elaborate into a final piece. All thumbnails incorporate a beautiful ballet pose. I also added a symbolic image to signify her Native American background.
Thank you.


My choice of possible colour schemes.







My linear composition.

This linear drawing views Maria Tallchief, the prima lead ballerina, in a creative ballet pose. The feathers in the top right corner signify her Native American background. The flowers below her implicate she has blossomed into a beautiful ballet dancer. The angel wings signify her beauty and grace, she was a good person. The decorative background and circles bring the picture together and let your eye dance around the page.



Here I have taken my sketch and transformed it to my board. I have also coated it so it is ready for paint. I choose pink paint and then coated it again with clearcote hi-shine glaze, by Folkart.
Starting to add more paint.
After weeks of painting, I finally have completed my portrait for International Women's Day, featuring Maria Tallchief, the first American 'Prima Lead Ballerina', and also Native American from the Osage Tribe and Irish women. Maria was also the first American to dance with Paris. Her list goes on of achievements. My finished portrait, is original in thought and to me looks like an original interpretation of a old theatrical dance poster. I like to be unique and bring originality to my art. I also auditioned for co host to a International Women's Day event. Fingers crossed I get it. Have a great day, and enjoy.
Thank you!

I also decided to photograph my poster with a Canon camera. I took the picture in raw and brought the picture into photoshop and changed the white balance because I did not like the lighting from the room in the studio. With my photoshop, I adjusted the font and played around with the paint and text tools and layers tools.

Here are my results:


2 comments:

  1. This is showing a lot of promise, Keira -- looking forward to seeing your colour roughs and your large pencil drawing. Great subject! I'm excited for you :^)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent job, Keira. I'm very impressed by the thoroughness of your process. Very thoughtful and methodical exploration and development of your design. Well done!

    ReplyDelete