Sunday 12 February 2012

Whitney Houston is Popular!

Whitney Houston changed the world one music note at a time and her trends in the eighties resembled the same dresses on your barbies. This weeks theme according to Illustrationfriday.com is 'Popularity'. Throughout the last century there has been a lot of heavy, solid talent to step out in the music and dance industry. So many people we have seen test the waters with song and dance, some have become stars, legends, or one pop song hits. Regardless, there is only few who inspire us world wide and touch our hearts with their amazing vocal notes such as, Whitney Houston, Celine Dion and Mariah Carey. These ladies bring forth a musical front that not just anyone can master while they dance along in their creative music videos. Their lyrics are positive, upbeat, and touching. Most of all the power of their voices are angelic.




Whitney Houston shaking it to "I wanna dance with somebody who loves me". Her dance moves were simple enough to follow for most people, but her voice notes were unreachable. 




The image below was taken from J Lo's video "Hold you down".

Most recently, Whitney Houston passed away. The cause at this time is unknown. Her death will touch a lot of lives. We can still keep her in our thoughts and prayers. Whitney Houston will go down in time as one of the most memorable singers of all time. She was Native American, African American and Italian and she sold 170 million records world wide.  She was born in 1963 and was one of the first African Americans to appear on 'Seventeen' magazine. She also appeared on 'Glamour', 'Cosmopolitan' etc.   I did not follow her social life, or her un perfect habits. I will only remember her positive and uplifting song lyrics and her amazing voice that could melt anyones heart and make me cry for no reason. She truly was touching.

Whitney Houston as the first female African American to be on "Seventeen" magazine.

Whitney Houston started out as a regular person like any of us, except her godmother was Aretha Franklin and she first learnt to sing in a church choir. Being in the lime light and having millions of dollars isn't everything. I am sure it can be very nerve wrecking and stressful, in which probably lead to her drug use. I know she was very nervous to bring out her first cd.
Some of my favourite hits of hers was "I wanna dance with someone who loves me". Her official music video for this is very popular in trend. It shows bright vibrant colours, including pink, a shopping mall dress room and the splash in which J Lo herself used in her "I'm Glad" video, most recently.



This picture is taken from J Lo's "I'm Glad" video which was clearly influenced from Whitney Houston's "I wanna dance with somebody who loves me" video.


Whitney Houston's competitors were strong singers like Mariah Carey who sung songs like "Hero" and also Celine Dion who sung songs like "My heart will go on".  More singers who make me cry for no reason. I am a very stable person emotionally, but these ladies sure know how to bring it.
Other popular songs of Whitney Houston were "I will always love you" and "Greatest love of all time".
It is rare to hear such positive song lyrics like "Saving all my love for you" another Whitney Houston greatest hit. It would be nice to bring back this positive energy to the media that society misses out on.
Whitney's awards "included two Emmy Awards, six Grammy Awards, 30 Billboard Music Awards, and 22 American Music Awards, among a total of 415 career awards as of 2010" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitney_Houston


I would like to make a tribute to Whitney Houston, stylizing on a magazine cover spread. 


This is a good way to start. This magazine cover layout is done by a popular Graphic Designer found on http://www.flickr.com/photos/leifpeng/
I am also inspired by spirituality. This image is taken from google and also gives me inspiration.

Here is a template I designed in memory of Whitney Houston:


Thumbnails being processed of popular theme and Whitney Houston for magazine cover.



1 comment:

  1. I'll always remember her in the Bodyguard!! and i love the beginning of her song I will always love you, just her voice and no music gave me goosebumps!! haha

    ReplyDelete